How to easily get a UK global talent visa
By Olushola Samuel
Are you a leader with exceptional ability or achievement? Do you have great potential and able to prove it? Then you can move to the UK with global talent visa. You can apply for a Global Talent visa in the UK if you’re a leader or potential leader in one of the following areas:
• academia or research
• arts and culture
• digital technology
You must also be at least 18 years old.
What to know before applying
In most cases, you can only apply for a Global Talent visa if you have successfully applied for an endorsement to prove that you are a leader or potential leader.
You can also apply for the visa without an endorsement if you’ve won an eligible award. The eligible award are listed on the UK home office website.
How long you can stay with the Visa
You can live and work in the UK for up to 5 years at a time using this route. You can however, decide to stay longer in the UK. There’s no limit to how long you can stay in the UK in total, but you will need to renew your visa when it expires. Each extension can last from 1 to 5 years - you choose how long you want the extension to be.
You can apply and may be able to get indefinite leave to remain so you can settle in the UK after 3 or 5 years, depending on which field you work in and how you apply. This gives you the right to live, work and study here for as long as you like, and apply for benefits if you’re eligible.
How to apply for global talent visa
Application is done online. Visit the UK home office website for application.
How you apply depends on whether you’re:
• outside the UK and are coming to the UK
• inside the UK and extending your current visa
• inside the UK and switching from a different visa
Processing time before getting a decision
Once you’ve applied online, proved your identity and provided your documents, you’ll usually get a decision on your visa within:
3 weeks, if you’re outside the UK
8 weeks, if you’re inside the UK
If you need to go to an appointment, you may be able to pay for a faster decision. How you do this depends on whether you’re outside the UK or inside the UK.
It costs £716 to apply.
If you’re applying based on an endorsement, you’ll pay the £716 in two parts:
£524 when you apply for the endorsement
£192 when you apply for the visa itself
If you’re applying based on an eligible award, you’ll pay the full £716 when you apply for the visa.
If you’re including your partner or children in your application, they’ll each need to pay £716
You’ll also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application - this is usually £624 per year for each person applying.
Eligibility Criteria for the Global Talent Visa for the UK
1. For Academia and Research
To qualify for a UK Global Talent Visa in the fields of academia and research, you must be an exceptional talent or have the potential in one of these areas:
You must also fit into one of the following categories:
• You have a job offer as a senior academic or researcher (e.g. a university professor) in the UK
• You have received an individual fellowship in the UK
• You are part of a research grant that is duly approved by UK Research and Innovation (UKRI)
If you do not have any of the above, you can still apply for the Global Talent Visa for the UK if your application is endorsed through peer review. In this case, an eminent person with internationally recognised expertise in your field must write you a letter of recommendation.
2. Arts and culture
To qualify for a UK Global Talent Visa in the fields of arts and culture, you must be an exceptional talent or exceptional promise on one of the following:
• Combined arts
• Visual arts
Additionally, you must fit into one of the following categories:
• In the last five years, you have worked regularly in your field and have produced work which is recognized internationally and considered to be outstanding by the Arts Council England.
For application as a leader in your field: You can prove that your work is well known in at least 2 countries
To qualify for a Global Talent Visa in the field of architecture, you must:
• Have worked continuously as an architect for the last 5 years
• Have produced work that is published in international journal.
• Have produced work which the RIBA judges to be outstanding
4. Fashion design
To qualify for this category:
• You must be considered an exceptional talent or exceptional promise in your field
• You must have worked continuously in the field of fashion design for the last 5 years
• You must be known as a leading figure in the industry.
• You must have work which is sold or exhibited internationally and shown on catwalk exhibitions.
• Your work must be recognised by leading figures in the fashion industry.
5. Film and television
To decide whether you qualify for a Global Talent Visa in the field of film and television (which also includes animation, post-production, animation, and visual effects),the Producers’ Alliance for Cinema and Television (PACT) will judge whether you are a leader or exceptional talent.
6. Digital technology
To be considered an exceptional talent or exceptional promise in the field of digital technology, you must fit in one of the following categories:
• You have set up or held a senior position in an innovative product-led tech company.
• You have worked in an innovative digital field or concept.
• You have taught, mentored, or taken part in collaborative projects to help the digital technology sector.
Additional requirements include having won awards, developed new skills (commercial or technical) during your career, or having had your research works published or endorsed by an expert.
Required Documents to Apply for the Global Talent Programme in the UK
The documents you have to submit when applying for a Global Talent Visa will depend on your field of qualification. This includes:
For researchers or academic leaders:
• A letter from the head of HR of the organisation where you will work. The letter must:
Include your name, position, and department
• State that got the position after applying via an open competition, which was advertised.
• State that you were interviewed by 4 senior academics from the organisation where you will work.
• State that you handed in at least three references.
For work on a research grant: A written confirmation from the funder, stating that the fund was at least £30,000 and it will last at least 2 years.
For peer-reviewed endorsements: A letter from someone of eminence in your field with “internationally recognised expertise”. The letter must state:
How that person knows you
That they believe you have exceptional talent or promise
That you would contribute to the UK and benefit from being in the UK
For leaders in arts and culture:
• Your CV
• Three recommendation letters, which states how the writer knows you, lists your achievements and details why you would benefit from this program as well as what you can bring to the UK.
• Up to ten pieces of evidence which attest to your achievements, such as international media recognition, international awards, international appearances, or exhibitions.
For leaders in digital technology:
• Three letters of recommendation from organisations which is established in digital technology. Each of the letters must state how the person knows you, including proof of their position, showcase your achievements in digital technology, as well as state how the writer believes you are a leader or potential leader.
• Evidence of any digital technology business which you have set up or in which you have been a senior member in the last 5 years.
• Up to ten pieces of evidence which support your qualifications and eligibility.
Application process a Global Talent Visa for the UK?
The application process for a Global Visa for the UK is divided into two parts:
Applying for endorsement from an organization that is recognized as an expert in your chosen field.
A. Applying for Endorsement
You have to get an endorsement to attest to the fact that you actually are a leader or potential leader in your field. To submit your application, you must visit the Visas and Immigration website of the UK Home Office and register using your email address.
You must submit the required documents and pay the endorsement fee. If you do not have all the documents, you can close the application and restart where you left off later. The documents includes:
1. A current passport or other valid travel documentation.
2. your tuberculosis test results if you come from a country where you are required to take the test.
3. your endorsement letter.
4. pay the immigration health surcharge and the application fee.
Then, depending on which field you will work in, the UK Home Office will forward your endorsement application to one of these so-called “endorsements bodies” for review.
The endorsement application can take from one to eight weeks to process, depending on which organization is reviewing your application.
B. Apply for Global Talent Visa
Once you receive your endorsement, you can then apply for a UK Visa by submitting the endorsement letter and any requested supporting documents. You must apply no earlier than three months before you intend to depart for the UK. You and all your dependent family members can apply at the same time.
It usually takes within three (3) weeks to get a decision on your application.
For more information, contact us on: